Thursday, January 17, 2008

I Have The Wrong Number.

I confess. I am an American Idol fan. It's true.



I'm not really into the first shows of the season when they are having tryouts in front of Simon, Paula, and Randy.



It makes me terribly uncomfortable for people with a loose screw to stand up in front of America and be made fun of. It's just wrong.



I'll have to admit though, I sometimes laugh too. I don't want to, but I can't help it.



I find myself holding my hand over my mouth to try to keep from laughing at some of those idiots. Surely some of those people know they can't sing. I can't help but wonder why someone (like their Mom) didn't tell them that maybe it wasn't a good idea to sing out loud in front of America.



Of course, maybe their Mom's did tell them. When did an idiot ever listen to their Mom?

Anyway, back during the Carrie Underwood season, I decided to call in to vote.



As soon as the voting phone line opened, I was keying in the number and punching redial. Redial, busy, redial, busy, redial, busy. Hmmph!

Meanwhile, Kate, who is running a little late for work, since she too has been watching American Idol, picks up the phone in her room to call her boss to let them know she is on the way. She keys her number in on her phone keypad just as I pick up my phone again and press redial. I didn't hear her on the other line, so I think my phone call has gone through because it is now ringing. Actually, Kate's call has gone through.

A cheery voice answers the phone,
"Hello, this is Amy, how may I help you?"

In my ever so peppy voice, I responded, "Yes...I would like to vote for Carrie Underwood."

..."Excuse me?" she asked.

Now, in my little less than peppy voice, I said, "I would like to vote for Carrie Underwood."

..."And?" she questions, with a hint of sarcasm.

A long pause......"I'm sorry, I must have the wrong number."



Click.

It is all suddenly clear.



I'm glad I can bring laughter and smiles to my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment