Saturday, December 26, 2009

I was totally in love with him from the very first moment I saw him.








Most all of you know that I have a grandson that I absolutely adore with all my heart. Ryan was born on October 31, 2000 to my daughter Kate and her then husband, Sean. He was the most beautiful baby in the world with all his fingers and toes and normal body parts. Other than my own 2 children, he was the most precious thing in the world to me. I was totally in love with him from the very first moment I saw him.


If not for the expert and precise hands of the obstetrician, Ryan would probably not be here. Ryan was delivered by emergency C-section within literally seconds of extreme emergency when his oxygen was cut off from an umbilical cord which delivered ahead of him. So finally hearing him cry was a wonderful sound to our ears.


Most babies are not terribly attractive at birth......and Ryan was no different. One eye was shut and the other was open. After a few hours, and a few baths, their bodies usually begin to take shape and they begin to look around a little.....but not Ryan. He never opened his left eye.


Before he left the hospital, I asked the pediatrician about his eye not opening. I was told that it was very normal and he would open it soon enough. It did not satisfy me. Weeks went by....Ryan still did not open his eye. More doctor visits and discussions with his doctor and still no change. We were basically told not to worry about it....it would be fine.


Well......that just wasn't good enough for me. I began asking more and more questions and doing research online to find out everything I could about why a child's eyelid would droop or remain shut. I came across a condition called Congenital Ptosis (pronounced toe-sis). It's an eye condition where the muscle in the eyelid is either absent or undeveloped at birth. It can be caused by birth trauma, or it can be hereditary. The pictures I found were exactly what I was looking for. But after mentioning it to the doctor, she still was not on board with me. It was a non-issue to her....but not for me.


From my own research, I found a doctor at the Children's Scottish Rite Hospital in Atlanta who specialized in eye problems and surgeries in babies and children. Ryan was 3 months old when he was officially diagnosed with severe Congenital Ptosis and his first surgery was scheduled at the age of 6 months.


Although modern technology is truly a gift to all of us, it is not perfect. Ryan will have to have several surgeries on his drooping eyelid as he grows in order to remain as normal as possible and to avoid eminent loss of vision. At 9 years old, Ryan has already had 2 surgeries to correct his Ptosis and will undergo another surgery soon.



1 comment:

  1. God love that sweet little boy. I had 3 eye surgeries by the time I was 3 years old for lazy eye which then turned to crossed eyes. I know how difficult it is to be the kid who looks different than everyone else. But, having loving support and encouragement from home like Ryan does would overshadow any of that.

    At age 55, it is as if my eyes are reverting back to my early childhood. One eye now just strays off on its own and nothing much can be done to correct it. I started my life with a bad eye and will end it the same. I have however been grateful and blessed to have had sight all these years. It doesn't matter if an eye goes one way or the other, or one lid droops and the other doesn't; not so long as we have vision in those eyes.

    I will keep Ryan in my prayers that his next surgery will take him one step closer to always being able to have his sight.

    Hugs to you all!

    ReplyDelete