Sunday, January 25, 2009

No Rollover Minutes

Most all of you know I was a banker for many, many years. With that said, I can tell you for sure that what I'm about to use as an analogy will only happen in your dreams. The money part, that is.

OK. Let's imagine that there is a bank that credits your account every single morning with $86,400 no matter what. If anything remains in the account at the end of each day, it is deleted and not carried over to the next day. Each morning you would begin with another $86,400. What would you do? Draw every single cent out, every single day!

Sort of like the bank account with all the money, every morning we are credited with 86,400 seconds called TIME. Every night, whatever TIME we have failed to invest to good purpose is written off and lost forever. It doesn't carry over a remaining balance and it doesn't allow any overdrafts.

Each day, we have a new account holding 86,400 seconds of TIME and each night the amount remaining is burned. The loss is ours. There's no going back and there is no borrowing from tomorrow. We can only live in the present on today's deposits. The clock is running. We need to invest each and every second to a purpose.

The Challenge Walk for Multiple Sclerosis has become both a challenge and a purpose for me. As a participant in the 50 mile walk, I have been training as much as possible in order to be ready for the journey. I am totally motivated and want to make a difference in the lives of those touched by MS.

This walk is a huge challenge to me for several reasons. I am the oldest walker on our team and not exactly the athletic type. Although my health is good, I was diagnosed with Osteoporosis 3 years ago. I am on a monthly medication to increase my bone density, although my bones are weak and more susceptible to breaks.
None of these things matter at all because this has become my purpose and I am doing it!

I began my training for this walk challenge by walking 1 mile a day and quickly progressing to 2 miles a day. I was suffering with normal muscle aches but an excruciating pain in my shins put a sudden stop to my walking routine. Shin splints are quite painful and I had no choice but to give my leg muscles a rest in order to heal. Before I begin walking again, there are steps that I will have to take to prevent this from happening again. But I will not stop because this is my purpose.

People with MS don't have that option. They may not even be able to walk around the house, let alone for miles on end. The symptoms of MS are different, and devastating, for everyone. The only certainty is that it will affect another person every hour of every day. The hope for a cure rests with continued research.

So use your 86,400 seconds for a purpose. Please pledge me online at
http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/carla.pryor. You may donate as little as $1 or as much as you want. Make your 86,400 seconds count. Do it on purpose.



No comments:

Post a Comment