Saturday, February 6, 2010

Cupid.....Draw Back Your Bow

Since Valentine’s Day is coming up soon, I’m going to play it safe and just flat out tell Minor what I want. I know….it doesn’t sound very romantic….. But let’s just face it…we’ve spent 34 Valentine Days together and I haven’t been surprised yet, so I don’t expect it will happen this year either.


In fact……I remember a few years back when the kids were in school…….

We didn’t really have much money and flowers and jewelry were so expensive and candy was so fattening…..I told Minor not to get me anything for Valentine’s Day since I really didn’t want any candy and flowers would just end up dying. He asked me if I was sure about it, and I said yes, it just seemed like such a waste of money. I knew he loved me, so that was really all I cared about. So he agreed.


Valentine’s Day rolled around and all the women at work received flowers from their husband’s or boyfriend’s that day. Flowers were rolling in all day long delivered all over the bank……but none for me. By the end of the day, it seemed like every woman there had flowers or balloons or candy or SOMETHING delivered to her……except me. I knew I had told Minor ahead of time NOT to send me anything, but now I was feeling a bit left out of the hoopla.

Don’t judge me……...I think my hormones were screwed up that day……… Once that happens, I’m not responsible for anything I say or do from that point on. It’s a known fact and my family is well aware of this. So just read…don’t judge.

On my way home….I was feeling all sad and down…..but then I thought about how much I knew Minor loved me and he was sure to have bought me something and he was probably going to bring it home with him tonight! Yay!! I knew he would never let a Valentine’s Day go by without getting me SOMETHING….no matter what I had told him before. He would probably surprise me after supper with flowers or candy or jewelry….. Of course he would!

Supper came and went and just like all the rest of the days of the year, Minor sat down in his easy chair and watched TV, while the kids did homework on the dining room table. No Valentine’s Day gift for me….. I laid down on my bed and cried into my pillow. Oh woe is me……



Just then, John walked by my bedroom door and saw me crying. He came in and sat on the bed next to me and asked, “Mama….what’s wrong? Why are you crying?”

*sniff, sniff* “I’m crying because today is Valentine’s Day and Daddy didn’t get me anything. Everyone at work got something, except me.”, I said.

John immediately got up and walked directly to Minor sitting in front of the TV and said, “Daddy, why didn’t you get Mama something for Valentine’s Day? You hurt her feelings and now she is in the bedroom crying.”

Minor was completely SPEECHLESS………..



He got up and came into the bedroom with John and Kate, both on his heels. Sitting on the side of the bed, he pleaded his case, “Baby, I thought you said you didn’t want me to get you anything.”

*sniff, sniff* “I know…..but I changed my mind. I didn’t know you really WOULDN’T get me anything.”, *sniff, sniff*, I cried.

John interrupted, “She changed her mind, Daddy. You should have gotten her something.”.

“So…….no means yes?”, Minor asked.

“Yes.”*sniff, sniff*, I answered.

He hugged me and we both giggled a little. But most importantly, he has NEVER let Valentine’s Day go by again without getting me something……no matter what I say ahead of time.


That day is now referred to as, “The Valentine’s Day that I told Minor not to get me anything…….and so he DIDN’T!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment